If you are using VMware vCenter Windows based and found dramatically DB usage at one day. Then maybe you got this kind of incident.
vCenter service could not start for some reason. Tried multiple times but none as a result.
You might start to view the log and finally found error as subject. Taraa.. it is related with DB and just realize you are only VMware Engineer who does not have any knowledge about DB, especially MSFT product. 🙂
So here is what i have done to resolve this issue.
- If you have SQL management studio, that will be helpful
- Open it, then select DB of vCenter. Right click on it and choose properties
- Click the options and set recovery model to Simple
- Right click on the vCenter’s DB again and choose Tasks > Shrink > Files
- Choose file type as Log
- Ensure that the release unused space radio button is selected
- Click OK and now you just release tons of transaction log which no longer used
You may to start Vcenter service again and back to the game.